Friday, October 12, 2012

garden maintenance pt. 2

Unfortunately this week it began to rain during our gardening time, so I didn't accomplish as much as I normally do during gardening hours. Due to several midterms this week, I wasn't able to return to the garden and tend to my plot, so this upcoming Monday I'll have to weed twice as many weeds and give my plants/beds some extra attention and TLC! This week was exciting, however brief, because I noticed several yellow flowers sprouting on my tomato plants! I didn't spray my plot with any pesticides because the rain would have washed away the pesticides before they could protect my plants from insects.

Looking through the vegetable crisper in my fridge in my apartment, I tried to figure out exactly where my produce came from. A bag of lettuce that I bought at Publix was stamped, "Distributed by Publix Super Markets, Inc. Lakeland, Fl 33802".



A pepper mix I have actually had an address label on the underside of the container: "Product of USA 4206 Mercantile Ave. Naples, Fl". I googled the address and discovered that the pepper mix was actually distributed by FreshPoint, North America's largest fresh produce distributor. Upon researching the distribution company a little, I learned that they buy from local companies that support local family farmers.


http://www.freshpoint.com/services/environment.html

No comments:

Post a Comment