Friday, September 14, 2012

planting


Aside from an ant ambush on my right foot, the first day of planting my garden went rather smoothly! I still need to label and seed beds 3 and 4 as well as fertilize my entire garden, which I will do on Monday. When I first arrived at my plot, I pulled out all the visible small weeds. Surprisingly some had remarkably long, developed roots! The majority of class this week was spent making sure the spacing between plants was consistent among beds; this ultimately helped make my plot look neater and cleaner. Transplanted plants included Juliet tomatoes, New Girl tomatoes, Anaheim Joe Parker peppers, Gourmet Orange peppers, Red Knight peppers, Lady Bug hot peppers, and eggplant. The rest of the vegetables/flowers needed to be seeded. My lettuce and pea plants were not seeded due to the fact that it is still extremely hot and humid in Gainesville, climatic conditions unfavorable to both plants. Pictured below are a couple pictures of my garden as well as a chart comparing the advantages and disadvantages to both seeding and transplanting!

a close-up of one of my three transplanted Juliet tomato plants
 (the shallow ring dug around the transplant indicates where a small amount of fertilizer will be sprinkled)
beds 1 & 2 of my garden
seeds vs. transplants: a few upsides and downsides to each planting method

No comments:

Post a Comment